When an unknown signal is connected to the oscilloscope, the easiest way to setup the oscilloscope is by using the auto setup function. It will change various settings of the instrument in order to display a signal in a convenient way for the user: stably triggered, with 2 to 6 cycles of the signal captured.
Auto setup can change the following settings:
- sampling frequency will be adjusted in a way that the signal that is the trigger source is displayed with 2 to 6 cycles
- record length will be adjusted in a way that the signal that is the trigger source is displayed with 2 to 6 cycles
- input range of the active channels is modified to obtain optimal signal resolution
- trigger time out is increased in case of slow signals to insure stable triggering
- trigger level of the channel that is used as the trigger source is modified to insure stable triggering
- trigger hysteresis of the channel that is used as the trigger source is modified to insure stable triggering.
Which settings are allowed to be modified by auto setup can be changed in the Multi Channel oscilloscope software settings.
To perform an auto setup, press the Auto setup button located on the instrument toolbar, or press the hotkey Q (quick auto setup). When the Ctrl key is pressed while starting the auto setup, the instrument will stay in auto setup mode. This can be used to track changing signals.